National Road Authority
Employer’s Representative & PSDP: Halcrow Barry
Architect: Niall Montgomery & Partners
M&E Engineer: Varming Consulting Engineers
Type of Contract: Public Works Contract for Building Works Designed by Employer
The project involved the construction of:
- A salt barn with a capacity for 3,477 tonnes of operational salt for winter road maintenance to be constructed with reinforced concrete retaining walls and a steelwork roof structure.
- A workshop and sub-depot office building for maintenance staff to be constructed in masonry, concrete, precast concrete and structural steelwork.
- The office areas were fitted out to completion to facilitate immediate occupancy and functionality.
- An open sided lean-to structure to house 6 salt gritter machines
- Site infrastructure including a weighbridge, a re-fuelling area, a washdown area, a brine tank and a salt containment area, storage areas and circulation areas.
- A standby generator and plinth
- A Forecourt oil separator, a Full Retention separator, a Bypass separator as well as an attenuation system are all proposed to deal with any contaminants and stormwater flow on the site.
- Foul water, storm water, water supply, electricity and telecommunications
- Car parking and bicycle parking
The site was located adjacent to and accessed via a busy Industrial Estate. With several busy commercial units occupying the Industrial Estate particular care was paid to the Traffic Management Plan to ensure that the site traffic route was safe and posed no danger or disturbance to the existing premises. Glenman Corporation also worked closely with the ESB during the contract to ensure that the diversion of the existing overhead 10kv power lines crossing the site to new underground ducts went ahead smoothly. Adjacent to the project was an existing water course. The works, in particular excavation works, were carried out in a sequence and manner to avoid contamination of this watercourse.